I'm adding a column below my Twitter feed on the right to display the resources that have aided me in marketing my stories and sharpening my writing. A quick rundown:
1) Duotrope This database allows you to search for literary journals that are seeking your kind of writing and then view their rejection/acceptance statistics. You can contribute to the data by keeping track of your own submissions on your account. Duotrope does require an annual subscription of either $5 per month or $50 per year.
2) NewPages An alphabetical listing with hundreds of journals. Lots of helpful details on reading periods, methods of submission, genres, and publication's history.
3) Poets & Writers PW kindly provides authors with a free searchable database of book publishers, literary journals, and Master of Fine Arts in Writing programs.
4) Query Shark Janet Reid, a literary agent at FinePrint Literary Management in New York, offers biting (you saw that pun coming) critiques of submitted query letters. Often hilarious, never withholding a suggestion, tough but not unsympathetic, Reid has worked with hundreds of querying authors...some of whom have gone on to sign with agents and publish their novels.
5) The Review Review A redundantly named alphabetical listing of magazines similar to NewPages, except that it features in-depth reviews of journals that can familiarize authors with the work a publication is likely to accept.
Anthony Otten has published stories in Jabberwock Review, Valparaiso Fiction Review, Wind, Still: The Journal, and others. He has been a finalist for the Hargrove Editors' Prize in Fiction. He lives in Kentucky.
Why I'm Choosing the Catholic Church
The Struggle to Stay Real as Writers and Humans
When People Stopped Being Interesting to Write About
How to Avoid God, Unsuccessfully
3 Ways to Use History in Your Fiction
Who's Afraid of Death?
Jesus and The "Illegals"
The Hardest Command
Grasping the Resurrection
The King of Outsiders
When Your Idol Falls
Our Not-Guilty Verdict
Nobody Dies for a Lie
Would You Be The Doorman?
What is a Blessing?
Real Obedience is Love
Jesus was Inevitable
The Death of Envy
What God Really Wants
Submission and Query Resources for Writers
Hearing His Voice
The World Overcome
Honestly, God: Praying Our True Feelings
When God Gives Us What We Want